Sunday, March 23, 2014

Brown v. Board of Education

This weeks reading and videos really struck a chord with me. I was already very familiar with the case, but by navigating through the website that was provided to us I really gained some more insight and knowledge about the history.


I do find it almost disturbing that there was a time when schools  were segregated and that it was almost forbidden for races to intermingle. That being said, we still are making strides as a society. As a country we have come a long way in terms of racism, but that doesn't mean that it is no longer an issue. Tim Wise states clearly in the video that it would be wrong for him to say that there is no longer a race issue to worry about. I like that he doesn't sugarcoat things. I know that we have come far as a society but we still have a long winding road in front of us. I think that this is true for all grouos of people that have been discriminated against for whatever reason. We have made leaps and bounds of progress as a society in many ways, but that just isn't enough. 


I think that it is evident now that we have made many changes, we have intergrated schools and we have a preisdent of color. I'd like to think that this all started thanks to the very public case of Brown vs. Board of Education. I think that a lot of times it takes public bravery and courage to kickstart what could be a revolution. I think that of course there were probably hundreds of things that happened prior to this that just weren't as public. But as we know, publicity is something that can really help spread the news of something. It can really help people start to rally behind each other and fight for what is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment